You know how when you buy a magazine, the price will be something like $4.99 U.S./$5.99 Canada? I used to think this price discrepancy was due to the fact that the Canadian dollar was much weaker than the American dollar. But right now, the Canadian dollar is worth about 95% of the American.
So I've been a little taken aback at the exorbitant prices of goods here. An Eddie Bauer Yukon Classic Down Duffle Coat in the U.S. costs $199-$219. I'm pretty apprehensive about the legendary Winnipeg winters, so when I saw that there was an Eddie Bauer in the Polo Park Mall, I set about getting there in a hurry. Walking through the store, I indeed found this same coat... for a whopping $315. (Of course, this price does not include the double portion of taxes you must pay... the P.S.T., or provincial tax, and the G.S.T., or goods and services tax. In some provinces, alcohol is taxed an additional 10%, but I doubt this affects Canadian drinking habits).
I'm also adjusting to the fact that although you might be able to get whatever you want - whenever you want it - in NYC, the same does not go for Winnipeg -at least as far as produce is concerned. Blueberries have been unavailable at Safeway for at least a month, and will not be offered until they are once again "in season." And if you want broccoli rape (they call it "rapini" here), unless you have the foresight to get to La Grotta Del Formaggio on a Saturday, you will have to be content with a package of watery frozen greens from Organza Market.
2 comments:
I suppose because they make it possible for one to have free insurance, you should pay an arm and a leg, and jump through hoops to live in every other way. "Free" is a great concept, but there ain't no such thing as free. $315.00 !!! It's like being an indian giver!!
All the more reason for you to come back to the US frequently to shop! Think of the money you'll save!
Post a Comment