Saturday, October 3, 2009

Differences Between New York City and Winnipeg

As you can probably imagine, there are many ways in which New York and Winnipeg differ. (Some things are the same in both cities; there are lots of people begging for change.) Here are a couple:


1. To a New Yorker, the sign on the left usually means, "There are thirty-six people before me who already got their pound of pastrami, and if this freakin' line doesn't start moving any faster, I'm outta here."

To a Winnipegger, the sign means, "I think I'll wait patiently in this chair at the Health Science Centre Hospital Blood Lab." Yes, to have your blood drawn, you get a number just like at a New York deli. (This is kind of unrelated, but the hospital is also a popular place to play the lottery.)

2. New Yorkers have Crocs. Winnipeggers have...

2 comments:

Juju said...

I like the word "mukluk."

J. made up the word "Muckentuck" which she said is a whole grain muffinish sort of thing baked on stones in front of a fire. So far only lego characters have gotten to eat a muckentuck.

It sounded like a plausible Indian word, but apparently there is a very similar word in Hebrew which means a snack.

New Yorker in Winnipeg said...

that is cute :-)

Post a Comment