Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A Food Post

There are hundreds of NYC-based food blogs, but I've only managed to find three based in Winnipeg: Winnipeg Eats, Savour Winnipeg, and Karen Food. To be honest, I haven't found that much food worth blogging about in Winnipeg, but I'll write at least one post about it.
  • Food Delivery. In NYC, the local food delivery service is SeamlessWeb. Many offices use it to order lunch. In Winnipeg, there is Mobile Maitre'D. I was hungry for lunch the other day, so I called the service - and got a recording saying that if you want to order lunch, you have to do it 24 hours in advance.
  • The Grocery. Mayor Bloomberg has been banning trans fats from NYC groceries, and he's also been on an anti-salt crusade. In Winnipeg, you'll find trans fats in everything from pie crusts to, probably, donuts (someone should call Tim Horton's to ask about that), and foods processed for Canadians apparently have a higher sodium content than for Americans, even when they are produced by the same companies. (So if I don't have a heart attack falling on the ice, that frozen dinner is gonna get me. Speaking of which - why doesn't Winnipeg shovel off its snow-covered sidewalks? Only the roads get shoveled.)
  • Local Specialties. It's hard to say what the local specialty is in NYC, because there's such great food of all kinds. Winnipeg has a large Ukrainian population, so you can find pierogies everywhere.
I got in a rather interesting discussion about foods Canadians like that you can't find in the U.S. I'm not sure these are any great loss, but here they are: 1) "Ketchup Chips"; and 2) "Keel." "What is keel?" I asked a Winnipegger. "Well in the U.S., when you order a bucket of fried chicken, they don't even put in the keel. But in Canada it's the most expensive part. It's the part of the chicken closest to the ass." I knew there was something very wrong about this answer, so I Googled, and the Winnipegger was wrong... the keel is the cartilagey bit between the breasts of the chicken. Still sounds pretty damn unappetizing.

9 comments:

yeshivaguy said...

Sure there are ketchup chips in the US. They're made by Heinz. Pretty good if you like potato chips. So now we're down to "keel." And pemmican. And bannocks. The gustatory delights of Winnipeg.

yeshivaguy said...

I think by "keel" the Winnipegger might have meant the fatty tail of the chicken, which happens to be pretty darn good.

New Yorker in Winnipeg said...

So it is the tail? This site says it's between the breasts...

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_Keel_of_chicken

and... what is a bannock? ;-) is it related to a buttock?

yeshivaguy said...

Bannocks are some kind of nasty bread fried in grease. The American Indians used to make them. Nowadays they make do with Wonder Bread, the noble savages. See here:

http://www.survivaltopics.com/survival/bannock/

These go really well with jerky, or so it's said. There's a really appetizing picture on that site. Looks a little like a buttock, come to think of it. A scorched one.

Oh, I'm sure you're right about the meaning of "keel." I'm just suggesting that your friend might have gotten it confused with the tail.

New Yorker in Winnipeg said...

LOL. That sounds truly horrid.

Well - at the nearby Safeway, I did come across something you might not find in the US...
Heinz Baked Beans with maple syrup from Quebec.
I don't know about you, but I prefer to keep my maple syrup separate from my beans.

http://heinz.com/health--wellness/focus-foods/dietary-preferences/gluten-free.aspx

yeshivaguy said...

I don't know. Maple syrup, brown sugar, what's the difference? They load those beans up with so much sugary crap, they might as well be served for dessert. I used to like baked beans, but I've been eating low-carb now for a while, so I don't touch them anymore.

New Yorker in Winnipeg said...

This is somewhat related but I didn't know if it deserved its own post. It's snowing and gross out tonight, so we decided to order dinner from one of the restaurants on Mobile Maitre D' (Tony Roma's, a chain). Later, the phone rang; someone from the restaurant actually called to ask how our dinner was.

yeshivaguy said...

That's nice.

So for dinner they don't need a 24-hour lead time?

New Yorker in Winnipeg said...

I guess not... very strange, huh?

I forgot to mention something very important - at the Safeway (and several other stores), a popular activity is collecting "AirMiles." Buy enough groceries and you can collect enough points to get out of here!

Post a Comment