Working in Winnipeg
Why do I need a work visa?
Because without it, Customs will not let your belongings cross the border. Since you cannot move into your new place, you might have to stay at a Holiday Inn until the end of your life, or until you get a work visa, or whichever happens first. (We ended up staying at a Holiday Inn for about two weeks. One night, someone set off the fire alarm at 12:30 a.m., and my six-month-pregnant self was forced to go up and down 10 flights of stairs. An hour after I hauled myself back to the room, the fire alarm went off again. It was quite a restful night.)
Can't I just get paid for donating my sperm?
No. As of 2004, it is illegal to be paid for sperm donation in Canada. Women can still import commercial U.S. sperm. But as you can imagine, you cannot get a work visa for this. So, you will have to stay at the Holiday Inn referenced above.
Can I just live off of credit cards, if I can't get a work visa?
No. With no Canadian credit, you will be denied a credit card. (I was. I was also denied a cell phone plan, as I have no Canadian credit card.) And you can't get a U.S. credit card if you have a foreign street address (the U.S. Patriot Act made sure of this).
I need to make some money. Couldn't I at least panhandle at an ATM?
Actually, very easily. You don't have to have an ATM card to access the area where 24-hour ATM's are located - all doors are open. However, if you want to open a bank account, or try to apply for a credit card which you will inevitably be denied, you can't just walk into a bank - you have to make an appointment.
Eating in Winnipeg
What is the local specialty?
You'll find elk and bison wherever you look. In fact, this month's WHERE Winnipeg Magazine lists the five top places to eat bison. There is also a freshwater fish called the pickerel, which swims around Lake Winnipeg, but apparently it is becoming dangerous to eat.
Will I be able to order unsweetened iced tea at a restaurant?
Nope.
Medical Care in Winnipeg
Is it true that healthcare is comprehensive in Canada?
Extremely. It also encompasses "Spiritual Care." After I got my Manitoba Health Card, I paid a visit to the Health Sciences Hospital (unfortunately, the Respiratory Division is very close to the Obstetrics/Gynecology Division, which is not very reassuring for pregnant women who are fearful of H1N1). As a first-time patient, I had to go to Admitting to get processed, and during the long wait, I read this sign on the wall:
SPIRITUAL CARE AT HEALTH SCIENCESCanadian healthcare thus provides not only the security of universal coverage, but a free discussion on the merits of Nietzschean philosophy. (If you don't have a Health Card, it only costs $40 to walk into a streetside health clinic. However, I don't know if the spiritual care is included.)
We provide a safe environment for those desiring:
A sounding board,
To explore existential questions and concerns, and
Compassion and non-judgmental feedback
2 comments:
Please write a book. David Sedaris has nothing on you.
Your fan, E
You flatter me!
Post a Comment